Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tips for Swimming...

Recently I read a swimming article for parents that stated: "If your kid is anxious about staying afloat, these tips will ease her into action."  Sounded like a good read so I skimmed on!!  I was excited and amused to see their bullet points and how they were completely transferable for parents personally and to engage their own kids with 'the Mission'.

- "Learn the Basics"
"You can either teach your kid yourself or hire a swim instructor. 'In lessons, kids focus on proper technique, and then Mom and Dad can focus on play.'"  At New Beginnings we want to come alongside you (the parent) in the discipleship process.  This means we want to help with ideas, equipping and even just be a sounding board to listen.  We also would be honored to be apart of your child/students life to help with some of the instruction of the basics so you can focus on how they apply to everyday life.  This is why at all of our NBFamily ministries we provide information about what we are studying on Sundays and Wednesday not to mention some take home guides to follow-up with the 'basics' that were taught about their faith.  Our prayer is that while you incorporate those tools it could transition into a consistent "Faith Talk" each week (a time you set aside and take just a few minutes to connect with the Bible and then an age appropriate activity to solidify it to their (and your) mind)!!  Be on the look-out for the brand new 14-week faith talk tool (walking through the 12 major events of the Bible) launching after labor day AND ministry specific Family Equipping taking place each Sunday morning in W301 (more details to follow).

- "Forget the Floaties"
"Not only can they give him a false sense of security, but they discourage proper form because they force his body to be vertical instead of horizontal in the water."  This principle is amazing!!  We often use "crutches" to do specific tasks thinking it will make us more efficient or better in some way.  At the time it seems all well and good but after awhile we realize our need for the crutch and often find ourselves farther from the original goal.  A big example for me was my phone... I remember very vividly when I got my first iPhone.  I was amazed as the days went by using this new device that would keep my calendar and answer my calls (no more palmpilot folks).  It could store thousands of contacts and hours of music but one day it froze up.  After hours of testing, it landed on the desk of a "Genius."  Though they could replace it for me at small price of $250 there were a couple other things we could try first.  What was crazy is over the next MILLION YEARS (couple days) as my phone was on the fritz, I realized a lot of things had changed:  I couldn't listen to "my songs" on my way to work or while working out, Some e-mails I had saved because of the content were unaccessible, I no longer remembered phone numbers (I had stopped memorizing them since they were saved in contacts), There was nothing to do while going the bathroom (don't lie, you take your phone in with you too), etc.  My iPhone, though so helpful in many areas had become a crutch and actually put me in a worse position on many things and I didn't even notice until it was gone.  What are the "floaties" you are putting on your kids or yourself (Is it: Making summer camp or VBS but never during year? Memorization of Bible facts but no understanding of the Gospel? Pushing baptism before they're ready? A salvation moment but no life change? Etc.)!?

- "Take the Plunge"
"Go ahead and carry your child into shallow water -- even if she's kicking and screaming." Often I have seen kids and students make choices and sometimes not make choices that dictate the whole families situation.  What I like about this point is that it can be taken either way: Maybe your son or daughter is needing a little encouragement to get connected or plugged in, maybe they have no desire to get involved, maybe they just don't want to go to church at all?  Will you do me a favor... before you give up will you do the following three steps: 
1) Please, let myself and the other NBFamily Pastors know!!  We would love to be praying for you, encouraging you and looking for more intentional ways to get them a solid connecting point.  
2) Urge them to come three times to a specific program (Yes, even if it's "kicking and screaming").  I know this is a big ask but it has a proven track record if started and encouraged at home!  If you can get them there three times it will be our job to keep them coming!!  
3) Personally get involved in some capacity at New Beginnings.  The fact is, often kids do what they see their parents do.  If parents are just dropping kids off each wednesday at church, consistently skipping sunday morning worship to do other things or just too busy to actually be in a small group... THE KIDS WILL FOLLOW SUIT!!  Please consider getting into a D-Group this fall (brand new groups start next Sunday, Sept. 8th.  Click here for more info

No comments: