Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stories from Haiti...

With the promise of a full post about our time in Haiti but also knowing I have posted many times about this passion of mine… I decided to let some of those who went tell their stories.  


Before our trip my mom asked my sister and I what we hoped to get out of this mission trip to Haiti- my answer was that I hoped to find out what I wanted to do with my life. Find out I did, missions seems to be weighing on my heart and after experiencing Haiti for a week I feel like missions truly is my calling. After going on this sweet-short trip I found what I want to be when I grow up; a missionary. Haiti taught me how to love people and all I can think about is going back and learning more. – Aubrey Andrews


One thing this trip taught me is that we don’t have to speak the same language to speak love to one another.  Love can be shown and seen through our actions.  A high-five, a hug, a touch, a smile or just by sitting by someone and looking at them.  I went to Haiti thinking I was going to reach out and help someone, but the overwhelming love I felt has changed me. I didn’t have to try to fit in. I could just be me. I felt welcomed, accepted and loved. – Michelle Andrews

Last week in Haiti was a rejuvenating experience for me. My intention for going on the trip was to be a part of something that my friends and family love and of course to experience it for myself. My expectations were more than met last week. Every single person on the team humbled themselves enormously. It was amazing to see everyone's willingness to serve no matter if the task at hand was picking up trash in the banana orchard or holding a cute little baby. Observing everyone over the past week not only made me want to be a better person, but it made me proud to call that team, those people, my friends. I could go on and on about my experiences, but I believe that is the best way to sum it up. It was an incredible experience. The village of Neply will forever hold a special place in my heart. – Derek Auffenorde

As someone who has been to Haiti on many trips, my experience this time was, as they each are, unique.  We decided we wanted to bring our two oldest children, Jackson and Creighton, along with us to experience their first mission trip.  Being on mission and a mom proved to be difficult and glorious all at the same time.  There were highs and lows, good and bad, beautiful and ugly times.  I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world. I had relatively high expectations going in and was forced to let go of them by day 1. What I realized, however, in the process, is that when I did let go and let them each experience it all, take it all in, and “be” themselves, I was able to really see their hearts and personalities rise and shine.   They really did phenomenal and my hope is that they will remember this trip and the things the Lord showed them, for a very long time.  Even though it was hard at times, I hope that more and more families will branch out and take the steps of faith required to take children of all ages on mission, whether it be downtown Tulsa or to the ends of the earth in Haiti or Africa.  There is no greater message of servitude than serving alongside your children. – Courtney Berg
 
Haiti for me was such an eye opening experience. It humbled me. It is okay that my home has only concrete floors, and a bath but no shower. That there are people in Haiti that live in way worse conditions but they welcome each day with happiness and love. They showed me the true meaning of love, hard work, discipline and a rich and true faith. If we were in those conditions would we have that kind of faith or would we turn our backs on God and blame him for the way it is? – Stacy Burright


A trip to the myLIFEspeaks campus in Haiti is: Moto rides and coral reefs; Mountain tops and sugar cane; Sunny days and humidity; It's banan trees, mangos, pineapple and feeding programs; Sweet, contagious smiles and Redemption 72:14; A helping hand, a soccer game, a warm hug and a lifetime of memories; It's stark white church clothes washed by hand and a "hallelujah" in praise of The Lord; It's relationships and community and welcoming of strangers; It's thinking you are blessing others and ending up being blessed; It's speaking up for those who can't speak for themselves.  A trip to the myLIFEspeaks campus in Haiti is love. – Dana Colley

Being that this was my first trip to Haiti, and overseas in general, going in, I had certain preconceived ideas about how my experiences would impact my life and my journey of faith. Now having had a few days back in the states to process the trip a little bit, the impact of my experience is starting to set in. The trip was incredible. As much as our team poured themselves out throughout the week, the children of Haiti poured the same energy and love directly back into us. Before the trip I thought a lot about how I could be a blessing to them but I didn't think a lot on how they would bless me. Looking back, I am so inspired by the kids and how much joy and love they demonstrated to us in spite of their consistently living in a much harsher environment than what we’re used to. It puts things into perspective and I am so grateful to have a genuinely changed worldview on life. It has been an incredible reminder that people desire to love and to be loved and that we should completely embrace the best of both worlds. I am so thankful to have been a part of this trip and to have witnessed so much of Christ’s grace and love. I’m excited to continue processing everything that I took away from the trip. It was a life-changing experience. I would love to go back! – Nathan Hollis

Often times going into mission work I think that I'm going in to change someone else's life but this experience revealed that changing lives shouldn't be the goal, rather just being the smiling face present everyday to show the love of Jesus.  I think more than anything, my heart was moved by the joy and happiness I saw in the Haitians. I've never seen poverty like I saw out there but their circumstances did not define the attitude that they chose to have each day.  I loved watching the kids dance and play soccer because for that moment, I could see what true love was. Seeing them come from whatever was going on at home and have the chance to smile and be free and enjoy the opportunity to just be a kid was completely worth every moment! – Maranda Jones

Haiti was a pretty weird trip for me. I thought that I was going to have some profound change. I did, but it was not what I thought it would be. I was pretty overwhelmed by everything and it was hard for me to process what was going on in my head and my heart. We were surrounded by poverty. But, what was more apparent than the poverty was the joy and smiles that resided in the Haitians. I think that is what really got to me. Even in poverty they had more than I do. I thought I was going to go to Haiti and bless them, but what ended up happening was them blessing me. Yes the trip was weird for me, but it was good and life-changing. – Emma Steele

My experience in Haiti was incredible. It really showed me what community is all about. Everyone in the village of Neply was so kind and welcoming that it just made me feel like I was at home there. Everywhere you went kids would run up hug people and everyone always said hello and asked how we were doing. Even though we don't speak the same language just taking the time to talk to us and always having a smile on their face meant a lot. I am so blessed to have been able to go and experience their love and their lives and I can't wait to go back. – Brandon Turney


Ivy Baker Priest once wrote,“the world is round- and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning.” There are many who would consider the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere to be the last, the least, the littlest. To some, the village of Neply might be the end of the world, hardly worth a passing thought, and certainly not a place where one would expect to feel the presence of the Lord. I came to Neply with the anticipation that I would be there to sacrifice my time and serve the needs of the village. As is often the case, those that have the least are capable of giving the most, and the people of Neply showed the love of Christ and had a far greater impact on me than I could ever have on them.   When I first arrived I was immediately blown away by God’s beautiful creation; a landscape distinguished by endless sugar cane fields, banana and mango trees, nestled along the blue Caribbean coast complete with a backdrop of mountains. As enchanting as the scenery may have been, it wasn't long before I was exposed to the surpassing beauty of the villagers themselves. They live day to day suffering from unimaginable hardship and circumstance and yet, the very idea of playing soccer or chasing bubbles sends smiles radiating through the group of children.  I was encouraged by the contagious joy of the people, with hearts so full of passion and love, reminding me of the simple things that truly matter in life.  I learned a multitude of things during my time in Haiti, too many to write, but the children taught me that the love of the Lord is universal; dancing, smiles, hugs, high-fives and a love for the game of soccer translate in any language! I am eternally grateful to have had the opportunity to serve alongside a wonderful team and will always carry Neply close to my heart, and I hope God leads me down that gravel road again someday, back to the beginning. – Shea Yates

*As promised, if you'd like to see a complete set of pictures from this years trip click here (you will need to have a Facebook account to access the pictures)!! 

May God continue to break our hearts for those in need… May His Son continue to be the ultimate example of love and humility… May His Spirit lead us to be His hands and feet each day… May we lead our families in a way that not only honors but upholds the Shema… May we find the courage to live by example and the faithfulness to take others with us!!

The Berg's (minus Charleigh, adding Jacob)
**Follow Jeff, also known as "surgeberg" on: FacebookTwitter Instagram

No comments: