Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Just another story...

The following takes place between 4:00p and 5:00p... events occur in real time 
(Don't know that reference, not only did I just shed a tear, you need to click on this link):

"How was school" I said like every other day when picking up the kids.  "Great, I had a good day" said the oldest with a grin.  "That's awesome, how about you baby?"  "Goooood..." she said while continuing to color on the work of art she had started while waiting in the gym.  "You know what I think would be awesome, we should go get slushies," I said.  "Why?" exclaimed both big kids in unison but a squeal of joy from the youngest.  "Because it's Thursday!" I said with a smirk.  "That doesn't make sense," comments the oldest.  "I just want to bless my beautiful family," I responded. 

9 minutes later... 

"What do you guys want to drink?" I said, expecting a quick response but not prepared for what was to follow.  "Do we have to get a slushie?" asked one.  "What flavors are there" responded another, I guess assuming they changed from the last time we came.  "RED Flushie!!!" shouted the youngest, with confidence.  "No...Tons...Got it!" I said, knowing full well they wouldn't know what I was talking about.  "So Dad, can I get ice-cream with oreos?" asked the oldest.  "Yes sir, thanks for asking buddy!" I said.  "I want what I got last time" commented the middle.  "Alright cool..." extending finger to push the button.  "WAAAAAIT... I WANT TO PUSH THE BUTTON" all three said in a mashing of words.  "I'm going to push it and make the order this time, if that's okay?" I said, secretly praying this would save us from an inevitable fight and noticing we missed 'Happy-Hour' by literally a minute.

12 minutes later...

"DAD!!  This is taking forever" complained the oldest, "You should push the button again and complain."  "Yes, God I'll take that set-up," I thought to myself.  "Buddy what did you do for your drink?"  Looking puzzled, he responded with a solid "Huh!?"  Giving it another shot, I continued: "Are you using your money to buy your snack?  Are you inside making it in the blender?  How long would it take you to make it and then clean-up your mess?"  "Hours!!" he said, I think expecting a laugh.  "Exactly, so shouldn't we just be patient and thankful for this blessing and not angry it's taking longer than we thought?"  "Yes," said muffled since his head was now rested on his arms.  "I'm waiting pashantly Daddy" said the youngest with enthusiasm.  "Thanks baby-girl," trying not to smile too big to anger the oldest yet noticing the masterpiece of art the middle was diligently still working on. 

6 more minutes later...

"Okay.... Dad, you have to admit this is getting ridiculous," extending arms to the ceiling for full effect. "Buddy, it's all good."  "Have you paid already with your card, if not we could just go," he said.  Stunned a little by his observation to the payment method I responded, "I did pay and I think this is a good lesson in pa....."  KNOCK KNOCK, "I've got a small cherry slush, a small strawberry slush and..... I'm sorry, I think that was supposed to be a small sonic blast with oreo, so I'm sorry about that,"  as the server hands me a LARGE blast with oreo.  With a smile exploding his face, the oldest sat in anticipation of his gift directly from the gods!  "Also," said the car hop "here are some tokens for some free limeades the next time you are in, we are so sorry about your wait."  "Thank you," I responded excited about this incredible moment to teach a life lesson.  "Now buddy... though you did nothing for it and even were impatient while waiting for what you felt you deserved, you were given something even better than you thought... Do you really deserve this?"  With his smile faded his arm met the ice-cream with a solid stiff-arm explaining: "I don't deserve it."  "Are you sure," I said not only surprised but frustrated that this massive blast was now melting and going to waste.  "Yes," he said.  Unknowing what to say, I spouted: "It's okay to eat your snack, in fact, I think you should or you'll be wasting money now."  Yes, I blew it!!  "DAD...DAD...DADDY... HELP!!!!!" exclaimed while the middle handed a slush that drained on her, me, the seats, my phone until I could get it out the window, all the while not hitting oncoming cars.  "WAIT, DON'T THROW IT OUT" yelled the youngest, whose apparent drink it was after sticking her straw through the bottom.  "Never again," I thought to myself now holding a broken cup out the window, sticking to everything and I think headed in the right direction for home!!


After days of distance from the incident, and counseling, here's a couple thoughts:
  • Faith Moments happen when we are looking for them
  • Faith Moments aren't always successful (or so we think)
  • Faith Moments only take moments of our time but will be remembered forever
  • Faith Moments can teach us just as much as our kids

P.S. My oldest did end up eating part of his ice-cream after sharing it with others.  And thanked God for "getting to go to Sonic and getting a bigger blast than I ordered when I didn't deserve it" when he prayed that night before bed.

No comments: